Reference Letter Guidelines
Each Intern/Trainee applicant is required to submit two (2) reference letters as part of the application process. Please follow the guidelines below when you are requesting and gathering your letters.
- Must contain the applicant’s full name.
- Must be dated and written within the past year.
- Should be on official letterhead and include an original signature.
- Must be typed in English. No handwritten letters will be accepted.
- Should be written by a current or previous professor, current or previous employer or recognized community leader.
- Must contain the author’s name, title, business or institution, address, telephone number and email address.
- The body of the letter should contain, at a minimum:
- How the author knows the applicant and the nature of their relationship. - How long he/she has known the applicant. - The applicant’s strengths and abilities. - Why the applicant would be well suited to participate in the J-1 program.
Note: Personal reference letters and/or letters written by family members or friends are not acceptable